Playing Around in the Kitchen- Orange Scented Cranberry Sauce Muffins

P1030251_web

I am so sorry for this picture! It was the only one I had of the finished product and was taken at my grandparents cabin where there is absolutely no light! I made these muffins one afternoon when I was bored and trying to decide what to do with my leftover cranberry sauce. I was in a baking mood, which is amazing because I am not usually in a baking mood. I love to cook, not so much bake. So, in the spur of the moment, I whipped out my trusty Baking: From my Home to Yours  by Dorie Greenspan and adapted her recipe for apple oat cake. I should have used more flour, the cupcakes were a little flimsy but they tasted yummy! Tart with a hint of sweetness and almost healthy enough to eat for breakfast!

ingredients

The dry ingredients: flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.

The wet ingredients: orange juice, non-fat vanilla yogurt, an egg, butter, and vanilla extract.P1030221_web

And of course, the star ingredient: My homemade cranberry sauce!

mixing

To make muffins you always begin by mixing the dry ingredients together first in a large bowl. If there is butter, melt it, and mix it together with all the other wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Then pour the wet ingredients from the medium bowl into the dry ingredients in the large bowl and mix using a spatula. Important: Do NOT over mix! Just fold until wet ingredients are incorporated with dry ingredients. Over mixing causes stiff and dry muffins. We want light, fluffy, moist muffins!

P1030222_web

Pour the muffin mix into a greased muffin pan and top with a large dollop of cranberry sauce. Bake in a 350 F oven for 12-15 minutes. You are going to have to kinda guess when they are done because the cranberry sauce on top makes it hard to do the clean knife test. I took mine out when the muffin part was nice and golden brown. They were flimsy but very moist and yummy!

cranberry muffin recipe

No comments: