Columbian Style Arroz Con Pollo and an Award!

P1020509_ps1

My mom was born and raised in Colombia, South America. Although she has lived in the US for over 25 years and raised both my brother and I to be true Americans, she is still very South American in many ways, especially in her culinary preferences. She loves meat, rice, potatoes, and that is about it. A few weeks ago I had her and my grandparents (from my dad’s side… long story, to be explained later) over for dinner. I wanted to make something that both my mom and I would eat (a very difficult feat to accomplish!) So I decided to make a traditional Colombian dish that I knew she would like. I found this recipe and adapted it. I omitted the onions because my mom despises onions, added some butter for flavor and used chicken from my poached chicken recipe.

stepbystep1

I started by chopping up a cup of carrots and a red bell pepper. I melted two tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan and sautéed the carrots and bell peppers until soft.

Stepbystep2

I added two cups of rice and sautéed until golden brown. Then, I added the chicken, and four cups of chicken broth and I seasoned it with a tablespoon of cumin and a teaspoon each of turmeric and paprika.

P1020500_ps1

I allowed everything to simmer until all water was absorbed and the rice is soft and fluffy. I added the corn very last because I wanted to preserve the crunchiness of it. It was really yummy and we devoured almost the whole thing!

The recipe is at the bottom of this post.

And now for the award part!

Micha of Scraping the Skillet has given me an E for Excellent Blog award. Thank you so much Micha for giving me my first award. You have no idea how great that made me feel!

E for excellent

Now it’s my turn to give out this award to the blogs that I find truly inspirational and that I follow on a frequent basis. If I could I would give this award to all the bloggers out there but these are just some of the blogs that really stand out to me:

101 Cookbooks

Heidi Swanson is freaking amazing. Her pictures are so absolutely beautiful and she makes healthy food look delicious. She is so creative and uses such wholesome, fresh, yummy ingredients. Plus she’s also from San Francisco!

The Pioneer Woman

Ree has no idea who I am. Sure, I have commented on her blog one or two times, along with 1200 other people! She is my inspiration, the reason I decided to start my own food blog. I love this woman and her blog. Her writing is so fun and entertaining, her family and her life are so interesting, and her cooking is yummy! I love her step by step photos as well.

Steamy Kitchen Modern Asian

Jaden is everything I want to be! She is a food writer, a culinary instructor, and will soon be a cookbook author. I love her blog, her candid thoughts, her wonderful Asian recipes, and her photography tips. I really really love her photography tips! Thanks for all the advice Jaden, it’s been really really helpful!

Cupcake Project

Stef embarked on a journey to make the perfect cupcakes for her friend’s wedding and we can follow her journey on her blog. Her cupcakes are so creative. She is the one who gave me the idea to try baking my pumpkin muffins in an orange shell! She bakes every kind of cupcake with flavors that I would never had even dreamed of! The avocado lime cupcakes in particular blew my mind!

So now I think what happens is that those who received an award are supposed to give it to their favorite blogs. Good luck and I can’t wait to see which blogs get chosen!

Arroz con Pollo Colombian Style!

Ingredients:

1 large carrot diced, 1 red bell pepper diced, two tablespoons butter, 2 cups rice, 4 cups chicken broth, 2 cups poached or roasted chicken torn into little peices, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 teaspoon each tumeric and paprika, 1 ear of fresh corn cut away from ear, salt and pepper to taste.

Directions:

1. Preheat large sauce pan and melt butter. Add carrots and bell pepper and saute until soft.

2. Add rice and saute until browned. Add chicken broth and seasoning, stir to combine. Allow rice mixture to simmer until almost all of the liquid is absorbed and the rice begins to soften. Add the chicken and cook until rice is cooked through and liquid is fully absorbed.

3. Add corn and season with salt and pepper to taste.

4. Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly, serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

Eddie B. said...

This dish was awesome sweetie. I can't wait for you to make it again.