TWD-Brownie Cake

P1020653_ps1

This weeks TWD recipe was chosen by Tammy of Wee Treats by Tammy. Tammy chose the caramel peanut topped brownie cake from the cookbook Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. As you can see my brownie cake has neither caramel or peanuts on top. I decided to omit the topping and just do the brownie cake. I also added some almond extract to give it a unique flavor so it wouldn't be too bland without the scrumptious topping.

Why didn't I make the ooey gooey caramel with the crunchy peanuts for the topping? Mostly because I was planning to rid the leftovers of my yummy cake by making my husband take it to work and it would have been too messy to take it to work with the sticky caramel topping.

Dorie says in her cookbook that this desert is best served with something white and creamy so I served it with ice cream. I was severely disappointed, the cake was dry and bland next to the cold creamy ice cream. It wasn't satisfying at all. I tried the cake later without the ice cream and it tasted much better. It was still a little dry for my taste but I could actually taste the almond and chocolate flavoring and it was quite good.

The other substitution I made in this recipe is that I substituted honey for the light corn syrup that the recipe called for. I have never baked or cooked with corn syrup in my life and I don't plan to. I looked online and found that honey can be a suitable alternative. I think it went nicely with the cake.

Thank you Tammy for choosing this weeks recipe!

All-in-all, I don't think I will make this cake again. It didn't really remind me of brownies and it was too dry. I prefer my deserts to be moist and gooey and rich!

8 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

I love the idea of using honey instead of corn syrup! Is it a straight one-for-one substitution?

Mrs. Mighton said...

I found mine to be dry too. I thought maybe I did something wrong. Glad to see that at least I wasn't the only one! At least yours looks pretty!

Tammy said...

You neded to try it with the caramel sauce! thanks for making my pick

Pamela said...

Seems like many of us TWD's had some dry brownie cakes. There's always next week, right?

Bungalow Barbara said...

I had the same problem with the cake. The topping was fabulous, though!

Marthe said...

I agree with you that the cake was too dry! But in combination with the caramel it was okay!

Jules Someone said...

This cake really needed the caramel and peanuts. Maybe next time?

Shari said...

Too bad you didn't like it, but the dusting of sugar looks nice.