Cooking With Apples Series: Curried Tofu Waldorf Salad

P1020592-1 

What do you think of this picture? I can't tell if it's good or not...I'm trying really hard to get better at photography, I always thought taking pictures was so easy, BOY was I wrong! Anyway, I think I've gotten better....what do you think?

This is the last of my apples series recipes, we have officially eaten all of our apples. I am actually quite amazed. There are only two of us in the house and we finished off a garbage bag full of apples (okay not quite that much but there was A LOT!) This little recipe is of my own creation. When I was trying to come up with a recipe to use with apples I tried to consider several things: 1. What do I have at home already that I can work with? What do I like with apples in it? Is there a way I can take a recipe I know I like that doesn't have apples and add apples and still have it taste good?

This is how the thought process went in my head when I came up with this recipe: What is a good lunch recipe with apples? Chicken waldorf salad! But I don't really think I like chicken waldorf salad. But I like curried chicken salad. Oooh and curried chicken salad tastes really good with cranberries so I'm sure it will taste good with apples. But I don't have chicken. I have tofu, can I use tofu? Why not? Could be good....and that is how I came up with this recipe.

P1020541

The ingredients: celery sticks( about 4 medium ones or 2 large ones), 4 small apples, 1/4 cup sliced almonds, 1/4 cup dried cranberries, green onions (about a handful), a block of extra firm tofu, 1/4 cup lowfat mayo, 1/2 cup lowfat plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon of curry powder.

I know mayo is not the best thing in the world for you, which is why I only use a little bit in this recipe, but it really really does add to the flavor. I think this recipe would be way too bland without it.

Before using the tofu to make this salad make sure you press it. For directions on how to press tofu click here.

P1020543

Finely dice the apples, green onions, celery, and tofu.

P1020544

Place in a bowl and add 1/4 cup dried cranberries...

P1020545

1/4 cup sliced almonds...

P1020546

1/4 cup lowfat mayo...

P1020547

1/2 cup lowfat plain yogurt...

P1020548 

and a tablespoon of curry powder. Mix well and enjoy on a bed of lettuce or on a sandwich. YUM!

Some other scrumptious looking recipes with apples that I did not get a chance to try:

Pork chops with apple and thyme

Chicken and Apple Curry

Sage Apple Chicken with Brie

Sherry Apple Pork chops

Roasted butternut squash and sweet apples

apple galettes with frangipane

Enjoy!

No comments: