Quick and Healthy Pasta Dish to Use Up Those Extra Veggies in the Fridge Before They Go Bad!

pasta

Look at that picture! I'm getting better huh? Huh? Huh? Doesn't this dish almost look yummy? I know I still have a long ways to go before I can actually call myself a decent food photographer but I'm making progress! There are no step by step photos for this dish because there is no set way to make it. This is my "I worked all day and don't feel like cooking or thinking or doing anything dish." I also call it my "What do I have in the fridge that needs to be eaten and gotten rid of dish." Basically, if you have some pasta, fresh veggies, olive oil, seasonings, and maybe some canned beans, you've got dinner!

Eddie offered to help me make dinner tonight, I love it when he helps me. Of course when I told him what I was making he made a face to me and complained "Why don't you ever make plain old pasta with tomato sauce?" Of course this totally set me off and I spend the rest of the evening trying to defend my veggie pasta. "It's healthy!"

"It'll be good, I promise!"

"If you want plain boring pasta with tomato sauce why don't you make dinner!"

Of course in the end, he like the dish better than I did!

I had some extra tomatoes, mushrooms, and a bell pepper. So I chopped up some onion and sauteed it with some garlic. Added chopped bell pepper, and mushrooms and sauteed until soft and cooked through. I added some pasta, threw in the tomatoes and some canned chickpeas, garnished with some parsley and green onions and seasoned with McCormick Chicken seasoning and olive oil. I used ALOT of McCormick, cause it's yummy and makes the pasta taste really really good! Very simple, very easy, but also healthy and yummy.

Here is the basic recipe (feeds 2-4 depending on how hungry you are)

2 cups pasta (preferably bow tie, tubes, or corkscrew)

1/2 onion, diced

1 tbs garlic

Whatever veggies you have on hand (mix and match!), chopped, diced, or sliced

A can of beans (for protein)

2 tbs of olive oil

McCormick Chicken Seasoning IALOT)

Chives, parsley, basil, green onions, chives, any fresh herbs you might have on hand

Cook the pasta according to package directions. Saute the garlic and onions in a non stick pan until soft. Add the other longer cooking vegetables and saute until cooked through. Drain the pasta and add to the vegetables. Add the canned beans, olive oil, and any fast cooking vegetables (such as tomatoes or spinach). Cook a few minutes longer, then stir in fresh herbs and McCormick. Toss to coat, then add some more McCormick. Toss to coat, then add some more McCormick. Toss to coat, well you get the picture.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Welcome to TWD! I'm pretty new myself (about 6 weeks) and have loved it. Your pasta looks fantastic! I think I need to try that. I'm always looking for healthier dishes to try.