Bring on the Color! Part 2

Unfortunately, I do not have a picture to go with this recipe. This is especially unfortunate because, in my opinion, beet risotto is one of the most shocking and beautiful dishes. Slow cooking the beets with the grain turns the entire dish bright red. Fortunately, I am not the first person to make risotto with beets and there are plenty of picture out there on other blogs. Here are some of them:

Roasted Beet Risotto by Coconut and Lime

Beetroot Risotto by An Edible Symphony

Creamy Beetroot Risotto by Domestic Goddess in Training

For my beetroot risotto, I decided to use barley instead of risotto. I am on a mission to try new grains and barley is one of them. I like the crunch of barley and thought it would go well with this dish. TDH was not a fan of the barley and it did take much longer to cook, so unless you love barley and are willing to spend the extra time, I would stick with risotto, some other rice, or a slightly quicker cooking grain. I used chicken stock for the liquid, and for the cheese I decided to use a mixture of plain yogurt, goat cheese, and herbs, it went heavenly with the beets. In my opinion, this dish is a winner and I can’t wait to make it again!

beet risotto recipe

1 comment:

Eddie B. said...

It was very good sweetie except that the barley took forever to chew through. Other than that it was a spectacular dish!