Eggs in a Heart and a Fresh Start

P1040824_web

He he, I just noticed that my title rhymes! So didn’t do that on purpose! Anyways in other news, I quit my job today! Yep! First day back after almost two months off and ended up being my last day back! I wasn’t intending to quit my job today, I didn’t go to work thinking I was going to quit. It just sort of happened. I was working at a small recruiting firm for commission only. I didn’t hate my job but I didn’t love it either. My bosses and co-workers were great but I didn’t have a passion for it. I didn’t wake up thinking I can’t wait to make tons of calls today and find people jobs. YES!

While traveling around Thailand and Vietnam I had a lot of time to think and ponder. I pondered about life, about careers, about what I am doing back at home. Apparently, a month is not enough time because I came home still having no clue what to do. I LOVE to cook, I LOVE to bake, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE writing in this blog.

Should I become a chef? Although I love to cook I’m not sure I would love to be a chef. My favorite thing about cooking is experimenting and trying new dishes. I’m afraid the stress of being a chef and the monotony of cooking the same thing over and over again would get to me.

Should I become a pastry chef? But I don’t really like to bake?  Or do I? Is it that I don’t like it or that I just don’t know enough to be good at it and I HATE not being good at things. I have been having a ton of fun with Daring Baker’s lately and I feel like Pastry is a much more defined art than cooking. I feel like if I went to cooking school I would taint my innocence which I find adds to my culinary uniqueness. But Patisserie school! Now that is something that I could benefit from. But do I really need to fork out 30 G’s to go to Patisserie school? Is there another way to gain experience without breaking the bank?

Should I become a food writer? I love writing in my blog, I love reading other blogs, I would LOVE to be a food writer. But how do you even begin getting into that field and what to I do in the mean time?

These are some of the questions that I was frantically pondering while walking into work today. As I was trying to get back into the swing of things I just couldn’t focus on the task at hand. My mind was on Pastries, and Cooking, and Food writing. As I was cleaning out my desktop I saw my resume staring out at me. I opened it and wondered, what could I do? What do I need on this piece of paper to land my dream job? Where do I start? Of course as I was pondering these important details my boss walked by and saw me with my open resume. He called me into his office and confronted me. Of course I told him the truth. I was just cleaning up my desktop but then I thought, why not really tell him the truth? So I explained that my heart wasn’t in it and I was considering going back to school to become a pastry chef. We said our goodbyes and our good lucks and I packed up the few items I had in my office and that was it. No two weeks, no drama (THANK GOD!).

Of course the problem is I have no job and no set plan. OOPS! But it’s ok. I am lucky in the fact that I have the most supportive husband in the world and we are not hurting for money. So now I need to go ponder some more and find out the answers to the questions I have. If anyone knows how a girl can break herself into pastry and food writing let me know!

In the meantime I leave you with a sweet little brunch idea for your loved one on Valentine’s Day. Think breakfast in bed! Can’t get more romantic than that!

eggs in a heart

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your eggs in a heart. Good for you for quitting a job that your heart wasn't invested in.