Lemony Chicken and Artichoke Pasta- A Disaster in the Kitchen...Plus a Lesson in How (or Rather How Not) to Prepare Baby Artichokes!

P1020317

Man, just when I start to think that I could get pretty good at this cooking thing, I have one of those days that serves as a MAJOR reality check! I bought some baby artichokes the other day at Trader Joe's and I was so excited to make a scrumptious and healthy pasta dish with them. "Hey!" I thought, "I'll even post a little how-to on my blog for preparing fresh artichokes for pasta!" Yeah Right! Apparently I am definitely not at the point where I am skilled in enough to show others how to cook! Anyway, this is (when cooked correctly) a very good and very healthy dish so I decided to post it anyway. Hey it was a learning experience! And nobody is perfect right?

First, a lesson on how to prepare fresh artichoke (or rather as I now know, fresh artichoke HEARTS) for pasta.

P1020263

These are baby artichokes, about a third the size of normal artichokes, they are really good in pasta.

P1020264

The first thing you want to do is remove the outer leaves. This was where my biggest screw up was. I didn't remove enough of the outer leaves. So the artichokes in my pasta were tough, and chewy, and really hard to eat. So when you are doing this make sure you remove all of the thick outer leaves until you reach the thinner inner leaves, the leaves that are part of the heart of the artichoke.

P1020266

Trim off the stem...

P1020268 

and the tips of the artichokes. I usually do this part to all of the artichokes at the same time, then once I am done with trimming the leaves, stem, and tips of all artichokes...

P1020276

I take each individual artichoke, quarter it...

P1020280

remove the core...

P1020283

and place it in a bowl of water with a bit of lemon juice. This prevents the artichoke hearts from browning too much. You have to be fast because as soon as you cut into the artichoke it starts browning immediately.

P1020288

Place them in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes until fork tender.

P1020305

Then remove them with a slotted spoon to a colander. Your artichokes are now ready for the pasta!P1020292

To make the rest of this pasta dish you need: pasta, chicken, parsley, garlic, parmesan cheese, butter, olive oil, a lemon, salt, and pepper.

P1020301

Shave some of the rind off of the lemon, set aside.

P1020304

Squeeze the lemon juice from the lemon, set aside.

P1020306

Add your pasta to your boiling water.

P1020307

Add about a tablespoon each of butter and olive oil to your pan. My pan was too hot so the butter started to burn while I was trying to take pictures!

P1020308

So I frantically added the garlic....still burning!

P1020309

and the artichoke hearts, gave it a quick toss...

P1020310

and added the diced chicken.

P1020311

Then I added the lemon rind and some red pepper flakes ( I decided to add these last minute!)

P1020312

Then stirred until chicken was fully cooked.

P1020314

Then the artichoke and chicken got tossed into a bowl along with the pasta, some chopped parsley, and a whole heap full of parmesan cheese.

P1020316

I tossed it around a bit....and dinner was served (albeit not a very good one!)

Then while the pasta cooled a bit....a bit too much actually...I frantically tried to clean up the absolute disaster I had made of my kitchen while making this dish!

No comments: