An Elegant and Delicious Sunday Brunch

P1020134

Doesn't this look so pretty and elegant? I woke up this morning and decided I wanted to make something yummy and pretty for breakfast! I absolutely love love love french toast and had some fresh raspberries that needed to be used.....so I decided to make french toast. But what would go well with raspberries? Almonds!

P1020137

So I added a little twist to my french toast and made them almond flavored and topped them with sweet raspberries. It turned out really good!

 P1020136

I served the french toast with a parfait of almond yogurt, raspberries and almonds. Everything was really tasty, although I will admit I did overdo it with the raspberries a bit.

P1020109

For the french toast I used freshly baked bread bought at the farmer's market, milk, brown sugar, pure almond extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves...and of course eggs!

P1020110

I broke three eggs into a large bowl...

P1020111

added 2/3 cup of milk...

P1020113

a teaspoon of almond extract...

P1020116

1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon...

P1020117

1/2 a teaspoon of nutmeg...

P1020118

1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves...

P1020120 

two tablespoons of brown sugar...

P1020122

and whisked it all together.

P1020123

I sliced 5 pieces of bread, each about 1/2 inch thick. The key to really good french toast is the bread. Make sure you use fresh, really good quality, preferable homemade bread, either from the farmer's market, a bakery, or bread that you baked yourself! You can use all different kinds of bread, plain white bread, sourdough bread, cinnamon swirl bread, chocolate bread. Just make sure it is soft and moist so it soaks up the egg mixture!

P1020125

I placed the sliced bread in a pan, and covered them with the egg mixture. I swirled the mixture around, poured the excess out, and covered them again. I repeated this until every inch of bread was drenched in yummy, sweet, spiced egg mixture.

P1020127

While I Let the french toast soak I made the parfaits. I used plain lowfat yogurt, almond extract, brown sugar, fresh raspberries, and sliced almonds.

P1020128

I put 1 cup of plain yogurt in a bowl...

P1020129

added 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 1 teaspoon almond extract.

P1020130

I mixed it all together and added a pinch of cinnamon to add a little spice.

P1020131

Then split the yogurt mixture between two little cute ramekins and topped it with fresh raspberries and almonds (are we seeing a theme here?)

P1020132

To cook the french toast I melted some butter in my pre-heated iron skillet over medium heat.

P1020133

I placed the french toast slices in the skillet and cooked them until browned on both sides. I placed the cooked french toast on a plate next to the parfaits and sprinkled them with raspberries and sliced almonds. Drizzled with my favorite maple syrup, this was a decadent brunch!

No comments: